Saturday, June 6, 2009

3rd Grade Already? Seriously??

This week was Seth's last week of 2nd grade. Here he was on the first day of school...

firstday2grade2

And here he was on the last day...

lastday2ndgrade

So far this was, by far, the year of greatest change for Seth. I'm going to try to remember this with my other two so that I can savor their pre-2nd grade childlikeness.

He went from being a kid who let us dress him, do his hair, and make choices for him to a kid who wants to pick out his own clothes, fix his own hair, and has opinions all his own.

He has grown up a lot this year. This is the first year of (mostly) no crying on the way to school. He may have matured a lot, but he's still the same sweet, sensitive kid on the inside. Last year on the last day of school I pulled through the car line only to find him clinging to his teacher and sobbing. He hates goodbyes. This year I pulled through the car line to find that he was all smiles! But after a few minutes at home, I walked through the living room and found him face down on the couch, crying his little eyes out. Sweet Seth.

He lost his second front tooth tonight. I'm going to do a whole 'toothless photo shoot' soon, but here's a sneak peak...

lostteeth

It really is true what they say...the days are long but the years are short. Seth is my most obvious and consistent reminder of this. Every time I think about how fast he's growing up, I think about a poem my mom had framed in our old house. The last line went something like this... "so I'm holding these memories as close as I can, because the next time I look I'll be seeing a man." Sappy, maybe. But oh so true.

I love you sweet Seth. You have always been mature beyond your years. I think that's why it seems like you're growing up so fast. I am so thankful for your tender heart and sweet spirit. I know God has big plans for your life. I am so blessed to be a part of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my...Seth is getting SO big! And you are right, he is soooooooo sweet! Here's the whole poem...
You were six months old and full of fun,
With a blink of an eye, you suddenly were 1..
There were many things we were going to do,
But I turned my head and you turned two...
At two, you were very dependent on me,
But independence took over when you were three...
Your third birthday, another year I tried to ignore,
But when I lit the candles there weren't 3, but four...
Four was the year that you really thrived,
Why, look at you now, you're already five...
Now you are ready for books and rules,
This is the year that you go to school...
The big day came; you were anxious to go,
We walked to the bus, going oh so slow...
As you climbed aboard and waved goodbye,
I felt a lump in my throat and a tears stung my eyes...
Time goes so fast, its hard to believe,
That yesterday you were home here with me...
And tomorrow when the bus brings you home &
you jump to the ground
You'll be wearing your cap and graduation gown...
So I'm holding on to these moments as hard as I can,
Because the next time I look,
I'll be seeing a grown man!
Love, Mom