Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Holding on loosely...

One thing that God's been showing me lately is how easy it is for me to seek His hand more often than I seek His face. I shared this last Wednesday night with the ladies I teach, and a week later I still can't get it out of my head.

Last week Kallie (5) and Luke (3) were playing. Kallie was playing with a stuffed dog, and it wasn't long before Luke wanted one too. So up the stairs Luke and I went in search of a stuffed dog. We searched every bucket of toys in every kid's room to no avail. We found bunnies, kittens, monkeys, babies, and all other sorts of soft toys, but for Luke it HAD to be a dog. I finally remembered I had packed up a box of stuffed animals to save for a garage sale. So being the sweet mommy that I am, I dug it out and luckily found a doggie for Luke. He was so excited and ran downstairs to play with Kallie.

Well not even FIVE minutes later, Kallie switched from playing with her dog to playing with her Minnie Mouse. So what do you think Luke did?

He threw his dog on the floor.

You know, the one that Mommy spent 20 minutes looking for. And he ran upstairs to get his Mickey.

And a funny thing hit me as I watched them. Kallie was the object of Luke's affection...not the dog...not Mickey. He didn't care about the toys, he just wanted to be like her. He would have played with a hairbrush if that's what she decided would be fun.

If I'm honest, so often I find myself in a situation where instead of God Himself being the object of my affection, I'm focused on what He's holding in His hands (like my future). If only I could be more like Luke, ready to drop everything if He chooses to pick up something different for my life.

Holding on tightly to Him...loosely to everything else. That's what I need to do.

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness,

and all these things will be given to you as well."

Matthew 6:33

3 comments:

Alli said...

My favorite line......"If only I could be more like Luke, ready to drop everything if He chooses to pick up something different for my life."

Amen!

Alli said...

Beautiful blog by the way!! Great job!

Tami Muhlbauer said...

Awesome word for today AND EVERY DAY!!!!